I hope that you all are having a wonderful day. I’ve been trying to figure out this whole new mommy schedule thing. In a previous post, I talked about having a new pace, now that I have a baby. So true. Another thing that I’m learning is that this new pace can be draining in a whole new way. I used to work as a nurse on a busy medical floor and I would come home physically and mentally tired at the end of each day. In this new job (stay at home mommy) I don’t have to be on my feet for 12 hours and I don’t have to deal with all sorts of intense medical situations, but taking care of another human being 24/7 takes a different kind of toll. I love my new mommy job and I wouldn’t trade this God given blessing for anything, but sometimes I need a refreshing something. So what do you do when you’re a new mom, have little time, it’s so much easier to stay at home, and you need a refreshment? I’m glad you asked! The answer: I like to call them “5-minute Fill-Ups”.
What is a five-minute fill-up, you ask? A five-minute fill-up is something that takes as little as 5 minutes of your time, but refreshes you and gives you the energy to keep doing what you need to do. Below is a list of some of my favorite 5 minutes fill-ups.
- Pilates. Now I know what you’re thinking “I thought you JUST said fill-up, not drain! The last thing I want to do is exercise!” Just take a minute and and hear me out. With MOPs I received a packet of things moms might enjoy. In this packet was a link to The Balanced Life. Robin is herself a mother of two littles and posts short (5-10 minutes) Pilates work outs. I thought I would give it a try and found that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt better physically and her videos were actually encouraging. She speaks to each individual’s ability and the fact that after having kids, our physical abilities are different than they once were and that’s okay. She encourages exactly what her website is called, a balanced life. She is also on Instagram, where she posts encouragements throughout the week. Here’s a link to The Balanced Life .
- Soak your feet in hot water. Who doesn’t love getting a pedicure? I know I do. However, doing this with a baby in tow when you’re not sure if he will be laughing, sleeping, or crying is a little difficult and a lot less relaxing. Have you ever tried just soaking your feet in hot water, though? It’s pretty great. And bonus, you can do it in the comfort of your own home and it only takes a few minutes.
- Craft. I don’t know if the rest of you enjoy a craft as much as I do, but I love them. Sometimes crafts take a long time, but it’s not difficult to find a craft that can just take a short time and still be enjoyable. I’ve enjoyed making the printables I’ve been posting and have also enjoyed doodling on some paper and making the bibs that I’ve put on my etsy shop. Sometimes I’m only able to accomplish a small portion of my craft in one sitting. So be it, it’s still great! Find something you enjoy and do it. (My next fun thing is making bath bombs! Double the fun; make it and use it!)
- Coffee. Need I say more? Make a hot cup. Pour in your favorite creamer (Or add little coffee to your creamer, if you’re like me). Sit down. Sip
- Write out your thoughts. Example: This post! Speaking of 5 minutes, mine are up! (also, this post took at least 3 sittings to finish.